ENGLISH LANGUAGE STATS
- More than 400 million people have the English as their mother tongue; the largest concentrations are in United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Ireland, South Africa and New Zealand.
- English is an official language in many countries like Cameroon, Fiji, the Federated States of Micronesia, Ghana, Gambia, India, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Kenya, Namibia, Nigeria, Malta, the Marshall Islands, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Rwanda, the Solomon Islands, Samoa, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- Over 600 million people speak English as a second language and an additional 100 million people use English as a foreign language.
- India is the nation where English is spoken or understood for more people than any other country in the world.
- In many former colonies or dependent territories of the UK and USA, such as Hong Kong and Mauritius, the English is an important language.
- English language is more spoken and written than any other language in the world.
- English has an extensive and rich vocabulary, the Oxford English Dictionary lists about 500,000 words and an additional half-million technical and scientific terms remain uncatalogued.
- English is the official language of 70 countries and where it is not official has an important position because is needed in many fields and jobs.
- English is considered the main language of international organizations like the United Nations and the European Free Trade Association.
- Approximately, 80% of business communications around the world take place in the English language.
© 2007-2017 All Rights Reserved